Thursday, April 25, 2013

Teacher of the Year

I was honored to receive the 2013 Significant Disabilities Teacher of The Year award from the Utah State Office of Education and Utah Personnel Development Center. I was recognized at a state conference held at the Provo Marriott.


This is the nomination letter my supervisor submitted:
 

If you had told me, five years ago, that students with significant cognitive disabilities would be able to attend and participate in a virtual school; I would have told you that it was impossible. That was before I met Tabitha Pacheco. Tabitha has found a way to make our school accessible to all students, even students who may not have the means to communicate in a typical way or who may come to us unable to access any grade level curriculum.

If a student cannot access grade level curriculum in an online classroom, Tabitha reads a grade level book to them while they create a visual story board based on what they are hearing. If a student cannot communicate in a typical manner, Tabitha takes a trip to UAAACT with the family to explore options. Tabitha currently has a student with severe Autism and a cognitive disability who is learning to communicate using Proloquo2go and an iPod touch. This year, Tabitha had also had a student with a cognitive disability recognized for her academics by the Utah Council of Exceptional Children.

There is no better advocate for our students than Tabitha Pacheco. If a student wants to take a high school elective class, she makes it happen. If a student needs to learn how to cook a microwave dinner, she gets out the web cam and meets with parent and student to make it happen. When we realized we had a gap for our high school life skills programs, she researched online curriculum and found the Conover software, which she now uses to teach an independent living/life skills class at the high school. She works with paraprofessionals, parents, and counselors to make sure that each one of her students has the tools they need to succeed. We are all lucky to know and work with Tabitha Pacheco, and I know that she has influenced the lives of many families and students enrolled in our program for the better!

Submitted by
Shelly Strahan
Utah Virtual Academy



2 comments:

Brendan, Dana, Hazel, Hattie, and Niels said...

Congrats! I was just telling someone the other day about virtual schools and when I mentioned I had a friend that did it with students with significant disabilities they were asking how that was done and I didn't really know what to tell them, but it was cool reading your nomination letter and what you do.

Amy Rae said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I can't think of anyone more deserving than you!